Horse racing is a traditional sport in the Philippines that gained lots of popularity over the 20th century. In most cases, betting tends to follow racing, meaning that there is plenty of legal horse betting action in the Philippines. Residents can find both brick-and-mortar and online betting sources, though this page is dedicated to the latter. You will find information on Philippine gambling laws and how they apply to Philippine legal horse betting, which sites to use and much more.
Is It Legal To Bet On Horse Racing In The Philippines?
Yes. Presidential Decree No. 420 created the Philippine Racing Commission, the governing body handling licensing for domestic horse race tracks and enterprises. The Games and Amusement Board regulates all racing activity in the country. Republic Acts No. 8047 and 7953 established the regulatory betting principles. There are certain conditions that must be met for off-track betting locations, but they are still present and legal. There are no laws against using licensed and regulated offshore betting sites to place wagers on horse races.
Top Rated Sportsbooks For Betting On Horse Races In The Philippines
Our team of online horse race betting experts put together a list of the best available offshore sportsbooks accepting Philippine residents and offering high quality racebooks. There are certain items to look out for when betting through an offshore racebook. Our team carefully screens each recommended brand for components such as:
- Legal licensing
- Betting line selection
- Wagering type variance
- Mobile/Live betting
- Security features
- Varied deposit methods
- Customer support options
Each of our featured brands met our quality assurance test and are legally viable options for Filipino residents. If you are curious to learn more, you can examine each site for yourself without making an account via the links provided in the table. We recommend you look through each section of the site to see if it has everything you are looking for.
|Site Name||Bonus Offer||Accepts Filipinos?||Visit Site|
|100% Max ₱7,500 PHP||Visit Site Review|
|50% Max $1,000||Visit Site Review|
|50% Max $1,000||Visit Site Review|
|100% Max $1,000||Visit Site Review|
|50% Max $200||Visit Site Review|
|100% Max $500||Visit Site Review|
How Are Offshore Racebooks Different From Domestic Betting Options?
Offshore sites allow you to wager on horse races outside of the Philippines. The domestic horse betting market is tightly controlled by the governing regulatory bodies. This is to protect the interests of the primary stakeholders in the horse racing industry. With offshore sites, you have access to more races.
One key difference is the number of wagers you can place. Not all offshore sportsbooks allow you to place first, win and show bets. Most races follow a money line platform, where bettors wager on a single horse to win. You can still participate in parlay betting, which is when you bet on multiple races.
Offshore sportsbooks feature promotional bonuses. This gives bettors additional money to wager with no cost to them. The most common type of bonus is a match bonus, or when the sportsbook matches your deposit by a percentage up to a certain amount. This money can be used to double down on a particular horse or perhaps spread your wagers across multiple horses, thus increasing your chances of winning.
Another difference is that fact that offshore Philippine legal online sports betting sites accept more transaction methods for bets than brick-and-mortar sites do. For example, on or off-track betting sites do not accept Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Dash, eWallets, wire transfers, etc. You typically place wagers using cash or your bank card. With more deposit options available, more people can place bets successfully. You can make deposits in the native peso unless you are using cryptocurrencies, which are technically their own currency type. Our guide to Philippine legal online casinos is a great place to start when looking for a verified safe-to-play online site that accepts Philippine registrations.
Any Legislative Changes Planned For Horse Race Betting?
Not that we know of. If anything, the legislation would pertain to regulatory bodies or how much percentage certain groups get off revenue. We do not expect any major legislative changes regarding online horse betting anytime soon. For now, residents can safely and legally bet online through licensed offshore sportsbooks.
Brief History Of Horse Racing In The Philippines
- Horse racing in the Philippines can be traced all the way back to 1867, which is also the year the Manila Jockey Club was founded in Manila City.
- The Spanish American War caused a break in racing (1898).
- American Governor William H. Taft brought order to the disorganized local industry in 1901. Betting was introduced shortly after in 1903.
- In 1937, the Philippine Racing Club was introduced. This corporation handled racing with stronger breeds.
- President Elpidio S. Quirino signs off on Republic Act No. 309, which established the Commission on Races in 1948.
- In 1951, President Quirino created the Games and Amusement Board with Executive Order No. 392. This body enforced illegal betting activity.
- In 1972, Congress grants franchises to the Manila Jockey Club and Philippine Racing Club to open and operate their own race track locations for 25 years.
- Philippine Racing Commission is formed in 1974. PHILRACOM was tasked with promoting horse racing as both a spectator sport and source of betting revenue.
- In 2009, the racetrack of the Philippine Racing Club transferred to a new location at the Saddle & Clubs Leisure Park in Cavite.
- The Metro Manila Turf Club, the third major horse track facility, opens in 2013.
There were some other things that occurred in between these points, but the majority of them had to do with improving the conditions of importing/breeding horses, microchip programs, etc.